It was one of the largest and the most famous stone in the world. It was also once part of the crown jewels of France. It takes its name from Henry Philip Hope, a diamond collector. The diamond was them bought by King George IV in the early 1800s. On the King's death, the diamond was sold to offset in debts. In 1958, the diamond was donated to the National Museum of Natural History.